All about the history of Fashion and Moda Adlib of Ibiza
As characteristic for Ibiza as her white-washed fincas, is today's
distinctive style of clothing by her multi-cultural inhabitants.
It was like that the in the late 50s and early 60s, when the first artists,
freethinkers and hippies arrived on an island, rich in nature and culture, with
a population poor in wealth.
The first hippy market of Ibiza was born in the fifties and both locals and hippies started creating a fusion of the indigenous 'Ibicenco' clothing style with characteristic hippy aesthetics, that would result in the birth of the ADLIB fashion in the early 70s.
Back in those days it were individuals such as the
colourful, former club owner, Mora
Schröder, who came to Ibiza in 1965, to live with the hippies, while
introducing Ibiza to her fantasy look of crochet dresses.
Djin, her husband, whom she met in Ibiza, both had a distinctive
appearance, and together with their hippy tribe they were much sought
after guests at any party on the island, because of their outspokenly
controversial garb and artsy performances.
Mora's innovatory urge made her decide to design and create her own outfits from there on, and over the years her characteristic crochet designs not only very much influenced and inspired the nascent fashion of Ibiza, but the rest of the world was also admiring her hippie apparel and eye catching designs. Although tried many times over the years, Mora could not be persuaded to commercialize her 'small' fashion business.
Until today this remarkable Hippy Icon enjoys a simple lifestyle and is happily selling her colourful, hand crafted crochet fashion on the Hippy market Las Dalias on Saturdays.
LA MODA ADLIB IBIZA
From 27 to 31 May 1971 the first Pasarela de Moda Adlib or Adlib Fashion Show took place at the Portal Nou in Ibiza, and it was in 1972, when the unconventional and liberated Yugoslavian jet set princess Smilja Mihailovitch, brought international recognition to the Adlib fashion style by posing barefoot with flowers in her hair, wearing the innovatory, ethereal white garments from Ibiza that expressed both simplicity and craftsmanship, but more strikingly, they highlighted each body shape's natural beauty.
It was Smilja, she affectionately referred to Adlib as 'the
freedom’s fashion', who convinced the local politicians to
financially support this new industry bringing economic prosperity for
the islanders. As a result the foundation of the
Patronat de la Moda d'Eivissa i Formentera was implemented.And it was Princess Smilja, who in 1975 inspired renowned Vogue fashion
magazine to come to Ibiza with famous actress Ursula Andress
to report on Adlib and in 1976 French brands Dior and Yves
Saint Laurent embraced the Adlib feel.
The Paserela de Moda Adlib started off small, with fashion
designers from day one: Maru García (close friend of
Smilja), Luis Ferrer, Marta Raffo and jet set fashion designer Dora Herbst.
Each year an exceptional model casting takes place for
this fashion event, Adlib also achieved collaboration with other
important fashion events, and there is the Balearic Young Designers
Contest to support the work of promising fashion creators living and
working on the island.
Thursday 9 June, 19.00 hrs @ Claustro Ayuntamiento de
ADD TALENT contest 2016
Friday 10 June & Saturday 11 June, 20.30 hrs @ Recinto Ferial de Ibiza
PARADES of the annual MODA ADLIB FASHION SHOW 2016
Opening with the presentation of the Exclusive Beatrice San Francisico Ibiza & BSF MAN Collection
followed by a presentation of Ibiza's finest collection of participating Adlib Fashion Designers: Charo Ruiz Ibiza, Dira Moda Ibiza, Elisa Pomar, School of Arts and Crafts in Ibiza, Ibimoda, Isabel Castellar, Ivanna Mestres, Jannine Helbling, Luis Ferrer, Luisa Tur Adlib, Piluca Bayarri, Tony Bonet, Vintage Ibiza and Virginia Vald.
Valuable tip for all devoted fashionistas, Ibiza's old
fishing quarter Sa Penya, from front to back is brimmed with
fashion boutiques and shops, selling fantastical fashion extravaganza.
Thank you very much Natalia Aestene of OnIbizaClouds for contributing your beautiful photos!
The village of Santa Eulalia today is also home to few shops of fashion designers & labels and the city center of San Antonio is being developed in a similar way.
Adlib Fashion Shops Ibiza:
|BSF, Beatrice San Francesco Shop
* Designs inspired by nature that will make you feel the soul of bohemian Ibiza, the island of freedom
Beatrice, Francisco and Djamila are devoted to their knitwear and since 2005 their remarkable fashion designs for both men and women are part of Adlib Moda.
Their BSF Fashion Shop unfortunately has to close over Winter, due to construction at the Vara de Rey. So come by to make your choice from their 2016 Spring and Summer Collection of BSF Man & BSF Woman and enjoy 50% discount, on each fashion item, until 29 October 2016 !!
||Boutique Amanecer Ibiza
* Adlib Fashion shop in Ibiza, incl. ethnic accessories and artisans
- Plaça de Vila, Dalt Vila, Plaça de la Tertulia, Puerto de Ibiza, Ibiza
- tel: 0034 971 317 371
||Boutique Bamba Adlib
- Carrer Antoni Palau, 5, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
- Carrer de Castelar 14, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
||Christine Astruc's Leather Shop Arizona
* Design, leatherwear, exclusive designs all measures, hand painted
- Castelar 17, 1°, Eivissa, Ibiza
||Dira Ibiza Moda Adlib
* Genuine Ibicenca Fashion
Manuel Pardo Dominguez designer of Men's fashion, from 2013 member of adlib with fashion brand DIRA IBIZA, unique designers creations, made by hand of natural fabrics like cotton and domestic raw materials, get unique pieces of great quality
- Avda. San Jordi nº5 Local 3, Ibiza 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
- tel: 0034 971 394 332
* Made from 100% natural fibres for women, men & children, with sizes to XXXXL
- Plaça de la Vila 17, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
||Dora Herbst Boutique
* Top-Designer of the Ibiza-Look & jet set fashion designer since 1965
- Marina Botafoch 315, Eivissa, Ibiza
||Escola d'Art d'Eivissa
* Publicly owned educational center with a group of students being trained in fashion design
- Calle Ríu Duero, 5 ( Can Cifré ), 07817 Sant Jordi de ses Salines, Eivissa, Ibiza
- tel: 971 301 228
||Esencia Adlib Ibiza
* 100% handmade Ibizan signature fashion Essence
d'Atzaró, 18, 07800 Ibiza, Illes Balears
||Eva Cardona Boutique
* Simplicity, romanticism, freshness, glamor, passion ... natural
exclusive design for celebrations, brides and brides, specialty Adlib
- C. Obispo Carrasco 4, Eivissa, Ibiza
||Flores Elisa de Ibiza
* Hippy Style wreaths, accessories, flower crowns, braids & bands, hairpins, headdresses & accessories of flowers, birds, leaves and some of the most imaginative decorations for your head
* Garments designed and manufactured in Ibiza from natural 100% cotton, which preserve the softness and freshness of our islands
Charo Ruiz's GiPó Ibiza was born in 1996, uniting Montserrat Prats Francisco and Josefa in designing artisan craft collections with characteristic, mostly white, garments for women, men, kids & babies
- Carretera de San Juan, Km. 1,200,
07819, Puig den Valls, Ibiza
* Fall in love with beautiful things !!!
- Crta. aeropuerto
num. 85 Sant Jordi de ses Salines, 07817 Ibiza
* Garments are produced and crafted entirely in Ibiza by Pasarela Adlib Designer
- C/ Es Figueral 11b bajos,
||Joyeria Pomar by Elisa Pomar
* Faithfully represents energy, magic, traditionally dressed in modernity, and the essence of Ibiza
- Calle Castelar 1, Calle
Antonio Palau 2, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
||De los Ángeles
* A brand of children's clothing created in 2003, characterized by exclusive designs and manufacturing
* Ibicenco fashion creator who put Ibiza’s Fashion on the map
- Pza. San Telmo 6, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza,
* Fashion made in Ibiza
- Jannine Helbling's online shop
||Morocha Ibiza Marta Raffo's shop Ibiza
* Born in the late 90s, with an innovative spirit, based on the characteristics of Adlib Fashion Ibiza
- Carrer de s'Esglèsia, 14, 07840 Santa Eulària des Riu, Ibiza
- tel: 0034 871 51 40 58
||Pepa Bonet Shop
* Carefree and natural Ibizan life, inspires Pepa Bonett in designing her adlib fashion collection
- Baleares 6, 07800
- Agapit Llobet 22, 07800, Eivissa, Ibiza
* Ibiza's one and only brand of jeans, made with Svarovski elements
- Calle Cabrera, 6 Bajos, 07800 Eivissa, Ibiza
IBIZA EVENTS GUIDE
|KIDS & FAMILY EVENTS|
|LIVE MUSIC EVENTS|
|WELLNESS EVENTS IBIZA|